Assisted living facilities have become a popular choice for seniors who don’t want to live alone and require some level of assistance with their activities of daily living (ADLs). As the baby boomer generation ages, the demand for assisted living is expected to grow exponentially, inspiring commercial developers to plan on building nearly 1 million new senior living units within the next two decades. With so many options available, it’s important to understand the latest trends in assisted living to ensure you find the right community for your loved one. Here are some of the more popular assisted living trends we are seeing in 2023:
Innovative Amenities Assisted living facilities are constantly updating their amenities to offer residents a more comfortable and convenient lifestyle. In addition to the basic amenities such as meal services, housekeeping, and laundry, many assisted living communities now offer features such as:
- Smart home technology: This technology allows residents to control their apartment’s lighting, temperature, and security features with their voice or a smartphone app.
- Pet-friendly policies: Many seniors find comfort and companionship in pets, and assisted living communities are now allowing pets to live with their owners.
- Transportation services: Some assisted living communities offer scheduled transportation services for medical appointments, shopping trips, and other activities.
- On-site beauty and wellness services: Some communities have on-site salons, spas, and fitness centers for residents to use.
High-Tech Medical Care Technology has played a significant role in improving the quality of care in assisted living facilities. Here are some examples of how technology is being used in assisted living in 2023:
- Electronic health records: Assisted living facilities are now using electronic health records to streamline communication between healthcare providers and ensure residents’ health records are up to date and easily accessible.
- Remote health monitoring: Some assisted living facilities are using wearable devices and sensors to monitor residents’ health status and alert staff if there are any issues.
- Telemedicine: Many assisted living communities now offer telemedicine services, which allow residents to receive medical care remotely from healthcare providers via video conferencing.
Dementia and Memory Care As the number of seniors with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease increases, many assisted living facilities are focusing on providing specialized care for residents with memory impairments. Here are some of the latest trends in dementia and memory care:
- Sensory stimulation: Assisted living communities are using sensory stimulation techniques such as aromatherapy, music therapy, and light therapy to help residents with memory impairments feel more comfortable and engaged.
- Memory care neighborhoods: Some assisted living facilities are creating separate neighborhoods specifically for residents with memory impairments, which feature specialized programming and staff trained in dementia care.
- Virtual reality: Virtual reality technology is being used in some assisted living communities to create virtual experiences that can trigger positive memories and emotions in residents with dementia.
Assisted living facilities are constantly evolving to meet the changing needs of seniors. By staying up-to-date on the latest trends in assisted living, you can find a community that provides the best possible care and quality of life for your loved one. At Elder Care Finders, we specialize in helping families find the perfect assisted living facility for their loved ones. Contact us today to learn more about our free consultation services.